Chartered Management Institute
CMI Vision Better led and managed organisations
Increase the number and standard of professionally qualified managers
The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) is a Chartered Body for Management and Leadership that works with businesses and education to inspire people to become skilled, confident and successful managers. CMI is the only Chartered body in the UK that awards Management and Leadership qualifications and the only body that awards Chartered Managers the ultimate recognition of the professional manager. To learn more about the Chartered Management Institute, click the link to learn about the organisation. (https://www.managers.org.uk)
CMI at H. Lavity Stoutt Community College is an Education Provider Partner (EPP) Centre that has received complete approval and registration as an international Centre. As such, the Centre undertakes an annual audit to ensure its continued compliance with CMI in the UK, enabling us to grant certifications. Since 2005, the Centre at the H. Lavity Stoutt Community College (HLSCC) has been approved to offer certifications, and several individuals have successfully obtained Level 3, Level 5, and Level 7 certifications in Management and Leadership. Due to disruptions after the September 2017 hurricanes, the Centre was dormant until February 2022, when activities resumed. Table 1 displays a comprehensive summary of the awards provided by CMI at HLSCC. CMI allows learners a three-year timeframe to complete a certification starting from their registration date.
Awards offered at CMI
|Type of Award
|Name of Award
|CMI Level 3
|First Line Management Principles of Management and Leadership
|CMI Level 5
|Management and Leadership
|CMI Level 7
|Strategic Management and Leadership
The above awards are internationally recognised in higher education. The Level 5 awards are equivalent to a bachelor's degree, and the Level 7 awards are equivalent to a master's degree.
After a redesign process, several upgrades were made, and the CMI International Centre at HLSCC reopened its doors in September 2022 by offering the CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership to mid-level management professionals. Criteria for admittance have been improved for transparency; admission records are now kept electronically; and a selection panel is in place to assess candidates for the rigour of the programme. Additionally, files are now digitised, student registration has been simplified, policies have been updated, and a blended learning platform has been introduced to create a learning environment that accommodates busy professionals.
HLSCC ACCREDITATION AND MEMBERSHIPSThe H. Lavity Stoutt Community College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 1007 North Orange Street, 4th Floor, MB #166, Wilmington, DE 19801. (267) 284-5000.
HLSCC maintains memberships in the following organisations:
- American Education Certification Association (AECA)
- American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC)
- American Hotel Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI)
- Association of Caribbean Tertiary Institutions (ACTI)
- Association of Community Colleges Trustees (ACCT)
- Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA)
- Association for Institutional Research (AIR)
- BVI Chamber of Commerce and Hotel Association (BVICCHA)
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- Chartered Governance Institute UK & Ireland (CGI)
- College and University Professional Association of Human Resources (CUPA.HR)
- Council on Higher Education (CHEA)
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
- National Centre for Construction Education and Research (NCCER)
- National Technical Honour Society (NTHS)
- North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP)
- Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) International Honour Society for the Two-Year Colleges
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA)
- The US-UK Fulbright Commission
- UK Maritime Coastguard Agency (MCA)
THE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
HLSCC offers modern technologies and comfortable physical learning spaces. Our CMI classrooms are located in the Centre for Applied Marine Studies on the south campus, which overlooks a beautiful natural lagoon. Our caring lecturers are all approved by CMI in the UK to teach the programmes. A blended learning environment allows learners to connect virtually for presentations, classroom activities and the lecturer's office hours; assignments can be uploaded, and digital learner resources are easily accessible. The Chartered Management Institute in the UK also provides a plethora of information in its vast online library that all registered learners can access from anywhere.
We use MOODLE, an open-source learning management system used for blended learning which helps educators create and manage online courses. Our training materials are easily accessible to learners, and assignments are uploaded to the learning platform where the lecturer and/or advisor can review the learners' work and suggest ways to improve assignments as applicable. The final assignments are sent to be marked by UK assessors through their online marking service and marking sheets are returned within six weeks. For transparency, learners are provided with a receipt upon successful submission of assignments, and the evaluator’s marking sheets with comments are forwarded to both the learners and the lecturer /advisor. From the Introduction Day, each learner is provided with information to guide them through the programme.
The Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management Leadership Practice consists of five intensive modules. At the beginning of each module, the lecturer will provide an impactful presentation to introduce the principles and concepts. Participants can expect the module sessions to be interactive, with meaningful activities included to help create a stimulating learning atmosphere, whether persons are face-to-face or virtual.
WHAT LEARNERS CAN ANTICIPATE
Improvements that our learners can benefit from include the following:
- Digitisation of all printed materials, and access to information via Quick Response (QR) codes,
- Simplified application process including transmission of a fillable electronic application form to and from learners, with the option to attach required supporting documentation,
- Review of all applications by an admissions committee,
- A schedule that features a six-week gap between modules,
- The option for individuals (but not organisations) to pay per module rather than for the entire programme in advance,
- Electronic textbooks and diplomas are provided instead of their hardcopy equivalents,
- Integration of MOODLE, a learning management system, to house all instructional materials and learner resources, and also provides for assignment submissions in digital format,
- A hybrid learning environment that delivers face-to-face and virtual instruction,
- Virtual office hours with the instructor to reinforce or enhance learning,
- Assignments are reviewed using Turnitin software to detect plagiarism, similarity, and the prohibited use of artificial intelligence in CMI assignments,
- Detailed marking sheets from the CMI assessors that are shared with both learner and Lecturer or advisor,
- Tracking of student progress on the individual degree audit, and
- The input of CMI scores in the College’s SONIS system.
Take a look at what our programme offers
Click here to see our flipbook.