H. Lavity Stoutt Community College will be a regional college of choice for higher education and lifelong learning. It will aid in the improvement of life, a vibrant economy, and nation building.
Mission of the College
H. Lavity Stoutt Community College provides quality higher education and lifelong learning that is responsive to changing community needs, the global economy and evolving technology. The offerings promote individual growth, economic, social, and cultural development.
H. Lavity Stoutt Community College strives to fulfil its mission through adherence to the following precepts:
- To involve students in the richness and diversity of ideas in order to broaden their understanding of themselves and the world.
- To lead students in examining the value of knowledge for its own sake and in developing an appreciation for the scholarly pursuit of truth.
- To provide learning experiences designed to enable students to develop their abilities to think critically; to analyse, synthesize and integrate knowledge; to undertake self-directed and lifelong learning; and to engage in scholarly inquiry and problem-solving strategies.
- To help students build their skills in effective communication; enhance their appreciation of the cultural and the aesthetic; and to realize a sense of self-worth, self-confidence and citizenship.
- To provide educational opportunities leading to the acquisition of knowledge and skills which will allow students to compete successfully and find meaningful employment in an ever-changing world.
Student centeredness: We actively seek to maximize the educational, personal and social development of our students by honouring their learning styles and adapting our teaching and learning behaviours to meet their unique experiences, needs and goals.
Responsiveness: We actively seek to identify and respond to education and training opportunities, using community partnerships as a means of enhancing achievement and success on the part of individuals, industries and organizations in the local and regional communities.
Respect and tolerance: We embrace cultural and national diversity, inclusiveness and mutual respect as a means of improving the learning experience of all, as well as the improvement of the College and community.
Accountability: We value personal and institutional investment in integrated planning, assessment and disclosure of the performance of the College as well as its students, programmes, structures and systems.
Integrity: We encourage the free exchange of ideas and honour our commitments in an environment that embraces honesty, fairness, personal responsibility and ethical behaviour at all levels.
High standards: We are committed to providing high quality, innovative and flexible teaching and learning opportunities for students and employees that enable them to succeed in a highly competitive environment so that they can value and become effective lifelong learners.
Decisions by data: We value and are committed to objective decision-making based on data and information that represents the reality of conditions and the performance of the College in all areas.
Cooperation: We value and encourage team work, resource sharing and internal as well as external partnerships as a means of achieving goals of mutual importance to the College, the individual and the community