- Public two-year community college offering associate degree and certificate programs
- Established in 1990 under the College Act of that year and is guided by a fifteen-member Board of Governors
- Accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2680, (267)-284-5000
- Credit enrollment (Fall 2020):
- 53% attended full-time / 47% attended part-time
- 65% were females / 35% were males
- 89% enrolled at the Paraquita Bay Campus / 11% enrolled at the Virgin Gorda Center
- Noncredit enrollment (2018-2019): 228
- This includes courses offered through the Center for Professional Development and Community Education (CPDCE).
- 25 degrees and certificates were awarded to 99 individuals in 2018 – 2019, and 25 of them also to 111 individuals at the end of the 2019 – 2020 academic year.
- 3,137 degrees and certificates have been received by 2736 individuals since 1994 (as of July 2020).
Employees (Fall 2020)
- 29 full-time faculty
- 1 part-time faculty
- 42 adjunct faculty
- 28 administrative staff
- 38 administrative support staff
- 16 non-administrative support staff (full-time)
- Income is derived from government subvention, student tuition, student fees, gifts, and grants.
- Student tuition is free for BVIslanders, Belongers, and naturalized citizens under the Government’s Free Tuition Assistance Program, individuals residing in the BVI for seven or more years pay $105 per credit hour, and individuals residing in the BVI for less than seven years pay $110 per credit hour.
- As of academic year 2019 – 2020, HLSCC has 190 personal computers located within 9 computer labs. Every classroom is equipped with an overhead projector and an instructor station with internet access. All students are provided:
- An email account;
- Microsoft® Office 365 use, which includes online storage and collaboration;
- Cengage Learning® resources, including e-textbooks;
- Wireless network internet access;
- Access to help-desk software for logging issues; and
- Access to a technology help desk technician between 8:30 am – 8:30 pm on weekdays.
- Library holdings include more than 14,874 publications, 979 audiovisual items, the Virgin Islands Studies and Island Resources Foundation Collections, and online database subscriptions through EBSCO Host.
Programs of Study
- 23 associate degree programs
- 21 certificate of achievement programs
- Dual enrollment for high school students
- Articulation agreements with nine colleges and universities
- Custom-designed training programs for businesses, industries, and government departments
- Ed4Online offerings providing opportunities for career training, personal enrichment, and professional development
Student Support Services
- Career development services, including planning, counselling, and job placement
- Personal growth and development services, including personal and transfer counselling, advising, and student success seminars
- Learning support services, including tutoring and peer mentoring
- 9 student clubs and organizations
- Student Government Association
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society for 2-year colleges