- Public two-year community college offering associate degree and certificate programs.
- Established in 1990 under the College Act of that year and is guided by a fifteen-member Board of Governors.
- Accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2680, (267)-284-5000.
- Credit enrollment (Fall 2018): 544
- 53% attend full-time / 47% attend part-time
- 65% are females / 35% are males
- 86% enrolled at Paraquita Bay Campus / 14% enrolled at Virgin Gorda Center
- Noncredit enrollment (2017-2018): 102
- Includes courses offered through the Center for Professional Development and Community Education (CPDCE).
- 109 degrees and certificates were awarded to 101 individuals in 2017-2018.
- 2,920 individuals have received associate degrees and certificates since 1994 (as of June 2018)
- 31 full-time faculty
- 1 part-time faculty
- 30 adjunct faculty
- 23 administrative staff
- 21 administrative support staff
- 13 non-administrative support staff (full-time)
- Operating budget of $10,568,045
- Income is derived from government subvention, student tuition and fees.
- Student tuition is free for BVIslanders, Belongers, and naturalized citizens under the government free tuition assistance program; individuals residing in the BVI for seven or more years pay $105 per credit hour; individuals residing in the BVI for less than seven years pay $110 per credit hour.
- HLSCC has over 140 personal computers located within 9 computer labs. By Fall 2019, three more labs will become available with an additional 63 personal computers. Almost every classroom is equipped with an overhead projector and an instructor station with internet access. All students are provided email, office productivity, and WIFI internet access. Students have access to a technology help desk between 8:30 am – 8:30 pm on weekdays.
- Library holdings include more than 12,769 books, 979 audiovisual items, and online database subscriptions through EBSCO Host.
Programs of Study
- 27 associate degree programs
- 20 certificate of achievement programs
- Dual enrollment for high school students
- Articulation agreements with nine colleges and universities
- Custom-designed training programs for businesses, industries, and government departments
- Ed4Online offerings providing opportunities for career training, personal enrichment, and professional development
Student Support Services
- Career development services, including planning, counselling, and job placement
- Personal growth and development services, including personal and transfer counselling, advising, and student success seminars
- Learning support services, including tutoring and peer mentoring
- 9 student clubs and organizations
- Student Government Association
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society for 2-year colleges